RATING - 4/5
BOOK: Hands On Art & Craft (Book 2)
AUTHOR: Shweta Gupta
PUBLISHER: SAAR Books Publications
PRICE: Rs 325
ABOUT THE BOOK:
Art has been defined in many ways and words by the masters over the years. Art is a mode of communication as well as enjoyment for children. Children not only reveal their innermost feelings, emotions, thoughts and ideas through their creations but also get immense pleasure while going through the process of making an artwork.
This book will show a new path to children in the light of "SEVEN ELEMENTS OF ART".
It is time to reflect on the thought... "We need to train children to be a doctor, an engineer, a computer professional, a pilot... Do we ever train them to be an Artist? You must be wondering that what is there to teach on the subject? The book answers your questions.
Yes! Art needs to be taught like Maths has formulas, Art has Elements, Science has discoveries, Art has Principles. And when these elements and principles of art are combined with other subjects it becomes a never to forget experience.
Imagine the experience of learning about descending and ascending order with patterns and shapes in an artwork or animal homes with weaving, or plant uses in stickers! I am sure most of you will answer "No". It is the time to learn it now. This book not only teaches the Elements and Principles of art but also combines them with other curriculum areas in order to involve children in the learning process.
This book allows children to explore craft activities equally as art ones which are again based on Fundamentals of Art combined with other curriculum subjects.
It serves as a construction manual of Art Education. It describes tools and blueprints you will find needful to help children to connect their experiences and learning in other subjects too!
Just like Hands on Art & Craft Book 1, the cover of Book 2 is also very attractive and glittery. If you have not yet read my review of the first book, then go ahead and read it here - Hands On Art & Craft Book 1.
Let's Begin the Review...
Hands on Art & Craft Book 2 is the best example of modern day art or we can say that it's "The Next Generation Art". With the advent of new technologies and games, the next generation is losing interest in the Arts. So, the author Shweta Gupta along with Saar Books Publications has taken the responsibility of changing the way Art is portrayed in today's world.
This next generation art will keep your children hooked to the book with interesting & creative activities and will help them develop as an artist. Now, let's take a look at what exactly are your children going to learn from this book:
1. Understanding 7 Elements of Art
2. Collaborative art with origami
3. Contouring shapes with Objects Around
4. Making 3D shapes with Objects Around
5. Knowing animal adaptation with Tessellations
6. Learning relative object sizes with a craft
7. Expressing mood
8. Developing motor skills with tearing and pasting paper
9. Types of houses with art and craft
10. Learning the basic steps of Paper Quilling
11. Appreciating the craft of Rakhi making
12. Defining different expressions using monster image
13. Knowing about Easter creatively
14. Learn to sequence with rainbow colours
15. Making a 2D object appear 3D
16. Mask Making
17. Working on a foil texture
18. Learn about Pablo Picasso's cubism
19. Learn about colours
20. Dab painting with a brush
21. Learn to create value to doodling
22. Story based artwork
23. Controlling movements with line art
24. Knowing about different leaf structures
25. Building analytical and concentration skills
26. Knowing age of a tree
27. Appreciating use of stamps
28. Creative expression in Britto style
29. Concentration building with Tessellations
30. Brad craft with a paper peacock
31. Detecting strength of shapes
32. Learning to make a Mandala design
Now you must have known why I quoted this book as the best example of "Next Generation Art". It's a pack full of knowledge for your children to learn from. Even you can learn a lot from this book, so I would personally recommend you to help your children complete these amazing activities by sitting along. It will motivate your children to give their best and it can become a reason for you to spend some quality time with your family in this fast-paced life. It will also help build a good teacher-child relation if this book is added to the school curriculum.
Apart from these creative learning outcomes, each activity has a "Good to Know" section where some amazing unknown facts are mentioned related to the activity. Also, this book comes with a FREE material board which contains required materials for the activities like Yarn and Cotton, Decorating Material & Elastic, Toothpick, Brad Pin, Origami Sheet, Star Stickers, Foil Paper, Quilling Tool & Strips.
Once your children have completed all the activities of the book, you can award them the "Certificate of Achievement" which is attached in the end of the book. It will boost the children to keep learning new stuff.
Overall, I loved this book and would surely recommend every school to add it to the curriculum and remember, "Children who grow up feeling loved deeply become adults who are pre-wired to love deeply".